- The Social Distillery
- Isle of Harris Gin
- Find Our Spirit
- The Hearach Single Malt
The Adru Martini
By Tom Jolly of The American Bar, Gleneagles Hotel, Auchterarder, UK
"I like my Martinis really clean and crisp, so what's at the forefront is simply the elegance of the spirit."
- 50ml Isle of Harris Gin
- 25ml Lillet Blanc
- 1.5ml Sugar Syrup
- 2 dashes of Orange Bitters
- 1 dash of Vanilla Saline
- Lemon peel
- Make the vanilla saline by adding 40g of sea salt to 100ml of water and 3 split vanilla pods then leave to infuse for 24 hours.
- Add all ingredients, except for the lemon, to a chilled mixing glass.
- Add a large block of ice and stir until liquid is chilled and suitably diluted.
- Strain into a frozen coupe glass.
- Squeeze oils from lemon over the drink and rub stem with remaining peel.
- Drop peel into drink as a garnish.
Tom Jolly is the beverage manager at the world-famous Gleneagles Hotel. First opened in 1924, this magnificent countryside estate in the heart of Perthshire continues to offer five-star luxury and boasts the only restaurant in Scotland to hold two Michelin stars. Among the hotel's superb food and drink offerings lies The American Bar, an elegant bar with exceptional service and cocktails inspired by the roaring '20s.
"I like my Martinis to be really clean and crisp, so that what stands at the forefront is simply the elegance of the spirit. This is a twist on Robert Vermeire’s Martini recipe from his 1922 book ‘Cocktails: How To Mix Them’, with the addition of a little vanilla salt to add a hint of savoury taste. This complements the seaweed and stone fruit flavours that the Lillet Blanc brings out in the Isle of Harris Gin, leaving a moreish Martini that really sings. The Isle of Harris Gin has such a strong, distinct and loveable taste that I didn’t feel it needed a huge amount of playing with – just the right ratio with the vermouth and a few subtle modifiers, leaving the spirit to be the star of a most quaffable drink."
The Gleneagles Hotel, Auchterarder, Perthshire, Scotland PH3 1NF
Lillet Blanc is available from The Whisky Exchange.